Notorius P.I.G. Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Bacon revolution has arrived - well okay this is a national past time since the concept of adding bacon to anything usually sounds like a fantastic idea.  Hence, the creations of (lemme get my Forrest Gump on here) choco covered bacon, bacon jam, squeeze bacon, bacon dental floss, bacon ice cream, bacon gum, AND BACON CUPCAKES!

Eager to get my hands on one, I found (like a couple months ago and since I have a lazy b.. b=blogger....WTH what were you thinking? I'm super behind) bacon cupcakes as the monthly special at Hello Cupcake in Dupont Circle.  Seeing that I have had a pretty good track record of enjoying Hello Cupcake's Cupcake du jour, I jumped at the chance to try it.  Was it as good as it sounded or looked on the Food Network?  Let me do some 'splainin. (These are based in my handy dandy cupcake ratings diary..yes I have one!  Don't you?)

First, Hello Cupcake's bacon cupcake was paired with maple and pecan, so formally it was a Maple Bacon Pecan cupcake and further described as "moist maple cake made with pure, real maple syrup topped with browned butter frosting, candied pecans and bacon."


Second, wording problemo: "moist" - my cake was not very moist as the description inferred, in fact my cupcake was a bit crusty the clown on the outside, which I think suited the cupcake better since you can pretend it was wafflely (that's totally a word...Imma going to try it on my next opp on Words with Friends...watch out for that Sean...WAFFLELY...right in the dangeah zonage) or even french toasty - something needed to be crispy in the cupcake...since the bacon was not crispy (refer my fif point below).

Turd, toppings problemo: "canded pecans and bacon".  HEY!  I thought this was the bacon show, not the pecan and bacon show!  While I do enjoy my candied pecans, the mixture sorta felt like filler.

Fourth, missing in action problemo: while I think maple syrup pairs well with bacon and the brown butter frosting was quite tasty, I feel like the bb frosting should have been choco.  I mean choco bacon is yerms!

Fif, type of bacon problemo:  The texture was really odd, and not yo momma's breakfast bacon (or shall I say my dad since my mom would never fry us up some bacon...EVAR) It was neither hearty or crunchy, it was just loose and stringy and had a weird bacon dust and film on it.  I want to say that the bacon used was one from a jar...you know like the ones that you could buy on the salad aisle. And no not uber red Bacos, but like the more "natty" bacon in a jar.  EEP!  I get it, bacon is a pain in the culo to fry up and crumble in the ktichen, BUT if you are gonna do a bacon cupcake justice you have to fry some oinky for reals!

Overall a bit of disappointment.  I'm super bummed.  But the light at the end of the tunnel was that I can now say, I Kissed Bacon Cupcake and I didn't like it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment