Notorius P.I.G. Thursday, July 15, 2010

So another Groupon cupcake ad came into my inbox. And no, it was not a delivery cupcake place that fell off the face of the earth after the Groupon buying time was over. (I STILL HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO ORDER MY CUPCKAKES FROM BONAFIDE CUPCAKES, BTW!) I was hesitant at first to purchase this Groupon since I haven't been able to redeem my last one, but since it was close to work I decided to take a leap of faith on Frosting A Cupcakery (A Boutique Bakeshop & Coffeehouse) located in Chevy Chase, MD. So my first impressions, was frustrating - the first time I went to redeem my cupcakes I went on July 4th, where their website stated that their hours were from 10 AM - 6 PM. So I drive to the bakeshop desperate for some cupcake goodness to share with my friends on July 4th. I drive up. BAD NEWS, they were closed. CRAP! How depressing! My next visit was more successful (since I got freaking cupcakes!), but the whole parking situation was quite odd, I had to choose to either enter the open parking lot area behind the cupcakery or go into the depths of a parking garage, I took a dare and went to the open parking behind the building, thinking there would be some convenient trail for people to go through to get to the other side. No such luck! So I walked around the building and then some to get to the cupcake place on the corner. I'm okay with walking for my cupcakes, as I could very use the exercise and circulation in my legs, but it was a bit aggravating on a day that was humid and rainy (and umbrella-less). =(
I walk into Frosting and it was a really cute shop. Not in a cute, GTC or Herrow (it is really Hello, but I'm adding my Asian spin) Cupcake baby pink all over the place way, but it was more masculine with their modern brown, blue and cream decor. It was like a MR. GTC or a MR. Herrow Cupcake store. It felt like more like what my living room would look like. I guess they took their cues from a Starbucks and GTC together, pretty savvy! (Sorry no photos of the store! I left my iPhone and camera at work!)

So I grabbed my eight cupcakes and headed back. And made my long humid and drizzly walk to my car, splashing gravel-ly water that pooled into the ridges of my flip flops and made it an even more interesting stroll. As I weaved in the parking lot I was being stalked by multiple luxury cars. (What no valet?) I get back to work, and it is TIME FOR SOME CUPCAKE BIS-NASTY! Or shall I say, cupcake BIS-NOMMY?
********************************

The Om Nom Nom Rating Chronicles (on a scale from 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest!) Ratings are averaged between Team Seangie and Stevie the Wonder Intern (Yes, Team Seangie has hired an intern to eat cupcakes with us...FYI, we will be taking intern applications for next summer starting in Feb 2011)
FLUFFER NUTTER: vanilla bottom filled with marshmallow with peanut butter buttercream and topped with a honey drizzle.
TADA Factor: 4.5
Flavh Flav Creativity: 5.0
Frosting: 5.0
Cake: 3.5
NOTE: This was the reason for me getting to the store on this day. UM. FLUFFER NUTTER? Nuff said! First observations, was the cake was more crumbly than other cupcakeries, the frosting was piled high on top of the cake (you practically have to unhinge your mouth to eat from top to bottom) and the cupcake were a bit more petite than other cupcakeries (but as they were priced at $2.75 I didn't feel robbed like other cupcakeries around town). Anywho, the frosting was AMAZEBALLS, and being the non PB slut of Team Seangie, I was really impressed! And most of all it TASTED LIKE NUTTER BUTTER!

JOE 'n DOUGH: coffee cake doughut bottom with mocha fudge buttercream top with a choco covered coffee bean
TADA Factor: 4.5
Creativity: 4.75
Frosting: 4.0
Cake:4.75
NOTES: Okay, this cupcake had me at doughnut-tyness goodness. The cake was the texture of a beignet but still was a touch cake like and had a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar on top. AND the buttercream was awesome! Even Sean, the non-Mocha buttercream slut enjoyed this combo! The thing that both of us commented on, was the fact that the buttercream at Frosting was amazing, light, not grainy, not too sweet and tasted like what it was advertised. Hey Frosting -color us impressed.

CREMA DI CIOCCOLATO: Gluten-free, flourless choco bottom with cream cheese and fudge top
TADA Factor: 4.0
Flavah Flav Creativity: 3.75
Frosting: 3.25
Cake: 4.0
NOTES: Sean lurved this cupcake. Me, not so much. It was flourless, gluten free, and "moistfull." (I know this a not a real word, but it really should be nominated next for Webster's dictionary) I mean the only thing I am allergic to is penicillin, so why am I to suffer? But I'm happy people that are allergic to OG cupcake ingredients can have a cupcake. Kudos to frosting.

CAMPFIRE: graham cracker bottom with milk choco ganache & marshmallow top (pictured above on the front left)
TADA Factor: 4.0
Flavah Flav Creativity:4.75
Frosting: 3.25
Cake: 3.75
NOTES: This would of got a higher rating if this cupcake was put together better. The choco dallop needed to be bigger and the marshmallow could of used a touch of a little blow torch action. I must say that this single cupcake it is the most appealing looking cupcake we have ever set our eyes on, so I think we were a bit disappointed in the taste. More choco please!!!! And some toasty blow torch action please! Then talk to us again!

FRENCHIE:(or what I want to call FREEDOMIE-yeah I'm taking a page out of the freedom fries book)  french toast bottom - oops I mean freedom toast bottom with maple buttercream top
TADA Factor: 3.0
Flavah Flav Creativity: 4.0
Frosting: 3.75
Cake: 4.25
NOTES: It's mapley, it's frenchie, AND IT SURE TASTES LIKE FREEDOM! YUM!

SKINNIMINT: choco bottom with peppermint vanilla buttercream top with choco sprinkles
TADA Factor: 4.5
Flavah Flav Creativity: 3.5
Frosting: 4.0
Cake: 4.0
NOTES: PALETTE CLEANSER FTW! So my question is, why is this called skinnimint? I get the mint part, but where does the skinni come from? Do they make these cupcakes when they are nekkid? Or do we get skinni when we eat them? Well, by the looks of what we have eaten so far, I think we could use a couple more of these cupcakes then, you know...for palette cleansing. I would like to say, that unlike my past experience with Herrow Cupcake's mint concoction this SURPASSED them by a landslide. (Insert Seangie happy yummy om nom nommy noises here)

DADDY'S JOY: choco bottom with almond coconut buttercream top (average scores come from Stevie the Wonder intern and I, since Sean left me)
TADA Factor: 3.25
Creativity: 3.75
Frosting: 4.0
Cake: 3.5
NOTES: VERY interesting! It's like they married marzipan and a coconut macaroon together and then plopped it on top of a choco cupcake. I did really like their almond buttercream that is prevalent in their cupcake menu. So I am quite excited to try another cupcake with it! Not bad!

Overall, our impressions of Frosting a cupcakery were very positive. We enjoyed their creative flavors and their execution that some of the other cupcakeries cannot touch. I will mos def be back! Especially, since in my excitement of being in the presence of cupcakes I forgot to use the two Groupons that got me to the cupcakery! I think this ranks second highest on Sean's list of stoopid things that Angie did that benefits Sean. (first was when I melted a Coldstone Choco PB ice cream birthday cake for a co-worker in the trunk of my car in February thinking it would hold up, guess who ate it?) So Frosting, I'll see you soon - I still have 2 Groupons to burn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment