Notorius P.I.G. Thursday, July 1, 2010


Alas, I am back at Georgetown Cupcake. I mean could I really resist? Never. It's cupcakes! DUR. I ended up tagging along (inviting myself) with two co-workers as one of them was on a cupcaketastic mission - buying cupcakes for a birthday! Not that I personally need an occasion to buy cupcakes, but often they are to celebrate a food baby!

With the new July flavors out, it was really hard to resist as I bought my perfect half dozen, full of flavors that I have not tried before and some that were completely new to the taste buds of my fellow cupcake reviewer Sean. After teasing the intern and showing him the cupcakes I trounced over for some cupcake sampling time. Half for Sean and half for me (the bargain is, he gets most of the Choco PB cupcakes to satisfy his Choco PB whorish ways). Personally I was excited about the Blueberry Coffeecake cupcake because it not only was burned into my retinas when I saw it, but the smell of it's sweet, sweet aroma blueberry-licious-tastic-ness kept on escaping from the box. I kept talking to the Blueberry Coffeecake cupcake too! "Please don't disappoint me, please don't disappoint me!" Sean and I decided on our order of attack and we ended up going: Strawberry (the heart), Pumpkin Spice (the maple leaf), ChocoBanana (yellow flower), Milk Choco Birthday (sprinkles), Choco PB Swirl (um duh), and the blueberry coffeecake (deformed blue flower cupcake).



Now let's get this om nom nomming started, bitches! (Photographs courtesy of me and my new lens! YEEEES!)

******************************
The Om Nom Nom Rating Chronicles (on a scale from 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest) reviewed by Team Seangie (which means average scores)

STRAWBERRY: Classic madagasgar bourbon vanilla cupcake baked with fresh strawberries topped with fresh strawberry frosting and a fondant heart. (AWWWW.)
TADA Factor: 3.5
Flavah Flav Creativity: 2.5
Cake: 4.75
Frosting: 5
NOTES: For the record Sean gave the frosting a 5.5, which is NOT on the scale, so we decided that he can award Honorable Mentions and this cupcake's frosting won one. If you do read my blog regularly (I know you have!) you know that I am a big fan of anything strawberry at GTC. I wonder how they can make such a delicious package. It is amazing how the freshness of the strawberries really come through! OM NOM NOMMILICIOUS!

PUMPKIN SPICE: pumpkin spice cupcake with a maple infused cream cheese frosting and topped with a fondant maple leaf.
TADA Factor: 3.25
Flavah Flav Creativity: 2.5
Frosting: 3.5
Cake: 4.25
NOTES: The cake is super moist! And Sean liked it and as a pumpkin spice avoider - I think this cupcake changed his 5 flavor palette outside Mexican food! I personally enjoyed the cake as it reminded me greatly of pumpkin bread. YUM! Although, I did think it was weird that 1) it was summer and I'm having pumpkin spice and 2) the pumpkin spice is not coming from my Starbucks coffee! Not bad, GTC! The maple cc frosting was interesting, but not my fave. But I gotta say, the maple leaf was cute and also an awesome way to celebrate CANADA DAY!

CHOCO BANANA: varlhona chocolate and fresh banana cupcake with a banana frosting topped with a yellow flower.
TADA Factor: 3.5
Flavah Flav Creativity: 4.25
Frosting: 4.5
Cake: 4
NOTES: The frosting was so good that Sean would lick the frosting of my finger, and in fact he did. HEY! That was MYYYY FROSTING! I really enjoyed this cupcake as I thought this flavor combo was not overwhelming, the banana frosting lived up to the name but I must say I didn't taste too much fresh banana in the cake! But it was still delicious!

MILK CHOCO BIRTHDAY: classic madagasgar bourbon vanilla cupcake topped with whipped milk chocolate frosting topped with rainbow sprinkles.
TADA Factor: 3.5
Favah Flav Creativity: 2.5
Cake: 3.25
Frosting: 3.5
NOTES: First thoughts, oooooooooo spinkles! I peeled some tasty sprinkles off to see if they had any taste. AND they did! They were all fruity tasty and super yummy, dipped in milk choco frosting of course. I think I could just eat a handful of those sprinkles! I would like to go on record that the milk choco frosting tastes exactly like whipped frosting you would find in a Duncan Hines or Pilsburry container in a grocery store. Interesting. I can't tell if that was done on purpose or not, but it will definitely keep me guessing for a long time! Overall the cupcake was good, but I think we were not as enthused as we were eating cupcakes with more personality.


PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE: (also known as Sean's cupcake vertigo-like eye patch) varlhona chocolate with creamy peanut butter core topped with a rich callebaut chocolate ganache and a peanut butter swirl.
TADA Factor: 4
Flavah Flav Creativity: 2.74
Frosting: 3.5
Cake:4.5
NOTES: Sean, the Choco PB whore. Was ready to give straight 5s based on it's Choco PB-ness. But in comparison to GTC's other Choco PB combos, I think Sean was a bit dissapointed. I only ate a quarter of it, since I was just tasting for research and I didn't really dig the ganache and the huge squirt of PB in the middle. In the end our average scores I think were lower than other Choco PB combinations that we had tried in the past. Hence, there was a lack of Choco PB cupcake rapage in this particular blog post and it has been replaced by cupcake eye-patching.

BLUEBERRY COFFEECAKE: fresh blueberry and citrus cupcake topped with a citrus-infused vanilla glaze and a blue fondant flower
TADA Factor: 4.25
Favah Flav Creativity: 5
Cake: 5
Frosting: 4
NOTES: AND NOW THE AWESOME SHIZZO! The blueberry coffeecake WAS AMAZEBALLS! Really fresh blueberry taste and the texture was like the real deal. The only two things that were lacking was the frosting, which was a simple sugar glaze that was okay and the presentation. I understand that the cupcake probably needs to be hot when it is glazed (like a KK doughnut!) But the cupcake had a divet in the middle and the candy flower looked like it was melted and plastered on there. Not GTC's prettiest cupcake, but one of GTC's yummiest cupcakes! Thumbs up!

Overall, another good experience at GTC. I'm proud to be addicted to their cupcakes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment