Notorius P.I.G. Monday, July 5, 2010

So after I went to Dim Sum, my friends and I went to the Red Velvet Cupcakery located downtown in Penn Quarter. This was my second visit to Red Velvet, but first to this specific location (the first was to their Dupont Circle locay.) So we wandered through the FTs (stands for f*&king tourists) covered street and found my cupcake mecca of FroYo and cupcakes. We entered and I discovered that this specific locay separated their FroYo and Cupcakery businesses unlike its Dupont Circle counterpart. When you first enter, all you see is the cupcakes behind a huge glass wall, and employees staring at you. No hello, nothing, they just stare at you and not even in a friendly way. They just stare. While we were checking out the flavors and examining the cupcakes, I want to say about 6 people walked IN and then OUT. I have no idea why. Could it be that they thought it was the famous Gtown cupcake place and realized it wasn't? Or was it the sign on the wall that said that each freaking cupcake was $3.25+ DC tax price tag? Or was it they were just stared at and not acknowledged? It was just odd, they would walk in and walk out as fast as they entered. I have no idea and do not blame them, in fact we probably should have before I spent $14.75 on 4 freaking cupcakes that were just okay. But then again, this is all for research. =D

So after mulling over the case of cupcakes, I sauntered over to the counter where the blank stare fell as I made my order and paid. All my friends and I got cupcakes and were all discussing the cost when we left the store. WTF did we just spend our money on? These better be good. By the time we got to the car to leave DC and go back to the suburbia of MD, I did a major boo-boo. I sat in the car and dropped my cupcakes. My initial reaction was to cry, but it was so hot, it was replaced by tears of sweat. Crap. Not only did I over pay for 4 freaking cupcakes, but they are all over the place, but still edible. (Your know some scraping here and there required and some reassembling of cupcakes.) My friends were nice and tried to convince me that things were going to be okay. But really, I just dropped my cupcakes! WANH!

*****************

The Om Nom Nom Rating Chronicles (on a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest)
NOTE: The following pictures of intact cupcakes are from the cupcake boxes of my 2 friends (WANH!)

KEY WEST: Key lime cake with a Swiss white choco butter cream and garnished with white choco shavings.
TADA Factor: 3.0
Flavah Flav Creativity: 2.5
Frosting: 3.0
Cake: 3.0
NOTES: The frosting was really light and tasted more like" cool hwip" (pronounced ala Stewie Griffin) and I didn't taste much white choco. MEH.
CARROT CAKE: A spiced cake with shredded carrot and whole pecans topped with whipped cream cheese topping.
TADA Factor: 2.5
Flavah Flav Creativity: 2.5
Frosting: 2.5
Cake: 3.5
NOTES: The spiced cake was decent, not as good as other cupcakeries, but I could live with eating a lot of these cupcakes - that is, until I went to another cupcake shop.

SUMMERTIME: Lemon cake with whipped cream cheese topping, smothered in coconut. (aka dubbed LeCoCo by my previous review with Sean)
TADA Factor: 3.0
Flavah Flav Creativity: 2.5
Frosting: 3.0
Cake: 2.5
NOTES: MEH. A comment, the same freaking frosting. UH-GAIN. And when you think about it, the majority of the cupcakes I saw in the case was covered in this same frosting. How about some variety? Didn't score as well as it did in my last review, maybe Saturday is an off day for cupcakes. I have no idea what happened!

CAMPFIRE: Choco cake with graham cracker topping with a schmear of fudge underneath a whipped marshmallow topping that was torched for the marshmallowy torched taste.
TADA Factor: 3.5
Flavh Flav Creativity: 3.5
Frosting: 3.5
Cake: 3.0
NOTES: The frosting was great! It was airy like a marshmallow and then blow torched on top for added campy effect. Overall the fun part of dismantling it AFTER I dropped it on it's side. But it was a good solid effort.

Overall, not that great of a cupcake experience. Or maybe I should just stick to the Dupont Circle locay. Maybe it was an off day, but then again my cupcaking style rarely changes. Off to the next cupcakery! Hopefully, a much better one and cupcakes that don't scare people away...

CUPCAKE FAIL!

0 comments:

Post a Comment