Notorius P.I.G. Friday, April 9, 2010

A co-worker and I visited this new place in Cleveland Park in Washington, DC called Cereal Bowl. This place is a new franchise that makes you feel like you still live on campus. Remember those dispensers that had oodles of cereal and you could mix any cereal to your heart's desire? It's there....remember how the though of not having to buy 3 boxes of cereal for 4 bucks each would take away from your pizza and beer budget? This help you satisfy your craving....and in a package price. FTW!


And the real element of feeling like college? The people constructing your cereal sensation are wearing pjs too! ANNNND, they have a menu to choose from if you like. Interesting...cereal mix recip
es? And we get to mix our General Mills with Kelloggs and add fruit, chocolate, and candy? SHAZHAM! I think cereal mixing could turn into a real art and I think I would like that job...I'm sure it would turn into an instant Food Network show too...

On the menu you can find:
The Sweetest Thing (TM) - Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, Nilla Wafers and Sprinkles.
Morning Glory (TM) - Frosted Mini Shredded Wheat, Strawberries, Bananas, Almonds and Walnuts
The Dirt Bowl (TM) - Cookie Crisp, Oreo Cookies, Choco Syrup and Gummy Worms
Gimme Smore (TM) Golden Grahams, Coco Puffs, Marshmallows, Graham Bites, and Chocolate Chips.
or you can just make your own mix. Man, only if they gave out lunch plans that your parents could prepay for....




OM NOM NOM.
Along with the cereal bowls, they have hot cereal bowls, cereal FroYo, coffee bar drinks, parfaits, and plenty of baked goods. The biggest genius moment they had was taking their cereal and recycling them into marshmallow treats. Rice krispies treats? Got 'em. Fruity Pebbles treats? Got'em. Smores treats? Got 'em. I can only imagine what else they can create that I never thought of. But let's just say I made Smores treats this weekend. Other "adult" additions are their regular coffee house pastries. Biscotti, muffins and cupcakes. Why bother?

When you enter the store, it is an exciting experience. I think that the atmosphere created in this store is little candy store, a touch of any FroYo store, and a brightly decor'ed Starbucks. All of these are family friendly and are surroundings that consumers are familiar with. I would assume that they are hoping to gather the
family crowd as they are next to a 1 theatre movie theatre and close to the zoo. What I find terribly unfotunate for this location is that is does not capitalize on a good target audience....college students. I mean, originally, I am sure that the target audience was the original demographic. American University and UDC are close by but neither of them are in an easy walk. Granted the Cleveland Park location is in a heavily walked area, but with all the food and restaurant competition...does it stand a chance? Only time will tell.










After you get and pay for your cereal you go and get to choose your milk. Just like on campus. My coworker and I decided to get trendy menu mixes, he got the Sweetest Thing and I got Dirt Bowl...hey I'm a sucker for gummy worms. And gummy worms on my cereal? Even better. We both got the large sized portions and were quite satisfied. I think the best part of my cereal bowl is the fact that the choco sauce made my milk choco milk at the end. Let's just say I had jealous eyes from across the table. My review? 4 stars out of 5. I subtracted 1 star based on locations. Yes, it is close to work....but I need to drive there so it doesn't cut into my lunch time. Parking....bad. Being on Connecticut Ave in DC is great for visuals....but for drivers not so good. Food is good, selection is good, for their concept and breakfast being served throughout the day is the new food restaurant trend. I mean if McDonald's is consider serving their breakfast all day, why shouldn't everyone else? I would suggest for everyone to at least try this place once....and then again...and again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment