Notorius P.I.G. Monday, May 3, 2010



Ah, Georgetown Cupcake, we meet again. But this time in the Flagship store, in the heart of Georgetown on M Street. With all of their successes, GTC was able to move their Flagship storefront on a corner of M Street (convenient for the line to extend, overflow on to the sidewalks and become their own free marketing), because well, people are willing to stand in line for things that desire. And they must like-y GTC cupcakes! People mock the line waiters, but they are just haters and deserve GTC cupcakes. So go suck it! On one occasion there was a lady and her hubby and the lady was making fun of all of us for standing in line, she went in to just "look" and she was amazed, she was prolly too embarrassed to wait in line after the scene she made, but I bet all the cupcakes in the world her ass was in line the next day.


The website states that they open at noon on Sundays, but we noticed people were still shuffling in at 11:15 AM as we were cupcake stalking. So my partner in crime, Deanna and I darted over there to secure our place in the 4 person line and to get our free cupcake of the day, Strawberry Lava Fudge. A free cupcake you ask? Well everyday GTC, offers 1 free cupcake per guest at each of their locations for the first 100 customers that request one. Secret flavors require you to be fans of them on Facebook or Twitter. To get one? Get your ass there early, they go quick! Marketing genius, get me in the door for something free, I leave the store with 6 cupcakes and $15 lighter. How dare you entice me with your tasty tasty cupcakes? Om nom nom!


Once you step in the store, you are greeted by the smell of cake and frosting. What a great way to start and put you into a good mood? In my next new car, screw the new car smell, I want the smell of cupcakes in my new car. What would be better would be to waft the smell to other drivers when I drive with the convertible top down. I should contact my old classmate to help me create and market this, he is a chemist now develop scent for some company in PA. But back to GTC, the décor is clean and girly (swirls, flowers, dots and PINK) and the cupcakes are displayed nicely on the counter behind glass on cupcake stands for looky-loos to drool over. Even the windows on the storefront are almost floor to ceiling, natural light is free and so is the chance for passersbys to look in to stare at all the crazy people transitioning to patiently waiting and enjoying their cupcakes at the tables. Staff is speedy (well duh, the lines get long!) and friendly, and the cupcake packers are efficient and probably could pack these cupcakes with their eyes closed. If that was my jobs I would probably be horrible at it, bitter that I have to give all these goodies away not wanted to share. MINE! ALL MINE!


GTC has fixed cupcake flavors and changes other cupcake flavors on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

Most of their cupcake flavors are quite traditional (and executed to perfection IMO):

- Any combination of a vanilla cake or chocolate cake with a vanilla frosting or chocolate frosting with sprinkles, fondant, chocolate shavings, or nothing.

- Chocolate Ganache

- Red Velvet

- Carrot

- Chocolate Coconut

- Peanut Butter Fudge

- Strawberry Cake w/ Strawberry Frosting


All these are pretty traditional flavor pairings but are represented in a pretty and tasty package. Let's just call it Christmas for my stomach. Deanna and I ended up choosing our free cupcake du jour Strawberry Lava Fudge and Red Velvet for each of us, Milk Chocolate Vanilla, Peanut Butter Fudge, and Fudge Lava.


*****************************************************************************************


The Om Nom Nom Rating Chronicles (Measured on a 1 to 5 Om Nom Nom Scale with 5 as the highest)


Strawberry Lava Fudge: Valrhona chocolate cupcake with a rich fudge core topped with fresh strawberry frosting and a fudge star drizzle.

TADA Factor (Presentation): 4.5

Flavah Flav Creativity: 4.5

Frosting: 4.5

Cake: 4.5

Notes: This was the off the menu free cupcake, FTW! All flavor elements were complementary and did not clash with each other. Probably my favorite cupcake that I have ever eaten at GTC. Om Nom Nom!


Strawberry: Classic Madagascar bourbon vanilla cupcake baked with fresh strawberries topped with a fresh strawberry frosting and a fondant heart.

TADA Factor (Presentation): 4

Flavah Flav Creativity: 4

Frosting: 4

Cake: 5

NOTES: The cake IS AMAZING. Moist, the right density, I can taste the strawberry flavor, I can see the strawberries in the cake, and is hella tasty!


Peanut Butter Fudge: Valrhona chocolate cupcake with a rich fudge core topped with peanut butter frosting and a fudge star drizzle.

TADA Factor (Presentation): 4

Flavah Flav Creativity: 3.5

Frosting: 4.5

Cake: 4.5

NOTES: I'm a not a huge peanut butter and chocolate fan, but I think this is a palette changer! This taste just like a Reese's Peanut Butter cup! WOOT!


Milk Chocolate Birthday: Classic yellow birthday cupcake topped with a milk chocolate buttercream frosting ad rainbow sprinkles.

TADA Factor (Presentation): 4

Flavah Flav Creativity: 3.5

Frosting: 4.5

Cake: 4

NOTES: This tastes like something that you could get out of the box and jar from the grocery store....only 100 times better. Is GTC mocking me? I'll bear the burden on this one and take one for the team. (Thanks for the arm twisting...)


Lava Fudge: Valrhona chocolate cupcake with a rich fudge core topped with vanilla frosting and a fudge star drizzle.

TADA Factor (Presentation): 4

Flavah Flav Creativity: 3.5

Frosting: 4

Cake: 4.5

NOTES: This is the same base cupcake repackaged, always yummy, but taste different when complimented by the different frostings.


Red Velvet: GTC's signature cupcake, classic red velvet cupcake with vanilla cream cheese frosting topped with a red fondant heart.

TADA Factor (Presentation): 4

Flavah Flav Creativity: 3.5

Frosting: 4

Cake: 4.5

NOTES: Best Red Velvet I have ever had, in cupcake AND cake form! (so far!) What what! As this is our fixed cupcake I will be comparing the Red Velvet cupcake throughout my DC Cupcake Tour!!


In a nutshell! I LURVES IT! I LURVES IT LONG TIME! =)

GTC has learned how to perfect their parts that equal the sum. In all my experiences, the cake in their cupcakes is always has been good, moist, soft, but not crumbly. Frosting is not too sweet, but is airy and taste like the ingredients as advertised. I don't know how they do it at GTC, they must employ cupcake fairies into their kitchens.

The next stop on the DC Cupcake Tour....Baked & Wired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment