Notorius P.I.G. Tuesday, May 11, 2010


Well on to the next cupcake joint. So okay, this place does not particularly specialize in cupcake-dom, but they serve them.

I ended up going through in passing as my friend wanted to get a coffee after we had lunch. THe Firehook Bakery in Cleveland Park is the lone coffeehouse in the area. What you ask? Where is the Starbucks? I have no clue, but doesn't that tell you something? No Starbucks, then there is perhaps something wrong with the area. I know, you don't want to live and die against a big chain, I get it. But it is hard not to think of the brand Starbucks when you are looking for a coffee. Heck, even in Asia they are eating it up and they are TEA drinkers! If they can't make a Starbucks work anywhere in the DC Metropolitan area then I would be concerned. To me from a branding standpoint, the big chains do the research on where to put their retail locations. In the old days, people would wait for good old McDonald's to pop up and build their locations around it, and that is because McD's did all the hard demographic research, found locations and settled in them that were there was the most profit potential.

Aside for the whole non-Starbucks existence, Firehook offers other goods to complement their coffee, they have cakes, pies, bread, make sandwiches, salads and regular and expected coffeehouse and light cafe fare. But I couldn't help myself when I saw the tray of cupcakes in the case. I was thinking...what the hell...cupcakes! I rate them, I must at least try them! Well let's just say at least my Chai Tea Latte I got was good.

To myself, I think I had hope. Cute little cupcakes and a Chai Latte! First off, the line was really long and the people behind the counter looked a bit frazzled pumping one latte after another. That is until I got up there, drink was order fine, but I got a strange look when I ordered the cupcakes. There were two options, vanilla and chocolate. Again, foiling my fixed Red Velvet cupcake plan. Oh well.

So right as they bagged it and handed to me they asked me if I wanted them frozen? I was like frozen? But then after much thought I think they wanted to see if I wanted them warmed up? ODD. I just shook my head no and decided to wait for my cupcakes to get to room temperature before attempting to "enjoy" them.

********************************
The Om Nom Nom Rating Chronicles (On a scale from 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest)

Chocolate Cupcake: Choco cake and choco buttercream with choco shavings.
TADA Factor (Presentation) : 2
Flavah Flav Creativity: 2
Frosting: 1
Cake: 1.5
NOTES: Bad. Boring, the cake was moist on the outside (probably from the refrigeration)and super dry and crumbly on the inside. The frosting tasted like cool hwip (how Stewie says it) with a stick of butter in it. BLEH! Choco shavings were the only highlight. Nuff said.


Vanilla Cupcake: Vanilla cake and vanilla buttercream with white sprinkles/jimmies.
TADA Factor (Presentation): 1.5
Flavah Flav Creativity: 1.5
Frosting: 1
Cake:1
NOTES: Could it get any worst after the choco mess? To answer, YES. This was bad and what was more disturbing was the white on white crime. And by white on white crime I mean the sprinkles/jimmies (I say sprinkle/jimmies to not upset all those who are in debate and over sensitive of what SPRINKLES are supposed to be called, yeah I just took my side of the battle...now deal!) , but what are they doing here? Let's put boring crap on crap. At least add some color,you know like rainbow sprinkles. Or does it look like fly larvae, maybe a stage 2 and 2nd day vintage? How disturbing.

Thank goodness I had a Chai Latte to wash both "bites only" down. I would probably stick to the coffee at Firehook, that is if I can't get to the Starbucks. No nommies from me. Enjoy those cupcakes at the garbage dump birdies...

0 comments:

Post a Comment